The State Customs Committee of Transdniestria is principally responsible for:
- controlling the flow of goods and means of transport across the customs border of Transdniestria,
- protecting economic security, society and environment by preventing smuggling and illegal import/export of prohibited and restricted goods,
- ensuring enforcement of customs laws and regulations in Transdniestria;
- collecting customs duties and other customs payments.
In order to perform their duties properly customs officers have rights to:
- stop, question and check travellers for prohibited and restricted goods in customs control zones;
- examine luggage, means of transport; to check items, cash and other values carried across the border;
- ask for identification documents and documents relating to carried goods and means of transport.